Go Back   Lao Spirit > Lao Culture, History, and Traditions
Register FAQ Members List Chat Room Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Oracle1o1 is on a distinguished road
Default Hed Boon

What does "hed boon" means to you?

I hear this all the time " go to the temple, hed boon ".

To me hed boon means to make a different, tiny different or big different. Doesn't matter what it is as long as i make someone or something better by a tiny bit, that's hed boon to me.

I still have a hard time thinking that going to the temple hed-boon will make my life better, maybe it is, good things will happen when one to go temple to hed boon. It doesn't hurt doing this but give me more reason please.
Element #114 is THE ONE. Go LaoSpirit!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 AM

EmJaEm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to EmJaEm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle1o1 View Post

To me hed boon means to make a different, tiny different or big different. Doesn't matter what it is as long as i make someone or something better by a tiny bit, that's hed boon to me.

I still have a hard time thinking that going to the temple hed-boon will make my life better, maybe it is, good things will happen when one to go temple to hed boon. It doesn't hurt doing this but give me more reason please.
Here's my take on it
Going to the temple to "hed boon" is good; however, "hed boon" can be anywhere. Doesn't neccessarily need to be at the temple and/or through monks. To me "hed boon" must be with the heart in it and no attachments (ie wanting in returns as if favors/investments/recognitions). To me there is no "boon lai/boon noi" No class in givings and good deeds...good deeds are just good deeds.

Going to temple makes me feel at peace, which is the only reason why I would go there to "hed boon". But once it gets political, I stayed away
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM

1kzlao is on a distinguished road

I wrote a long post but decide to paraphrase.

Het boon: (What I heard recently from the monk)

Monk says...

If you het boon but not from the heart - Don't do it.

If you het boon expecting to receive something in return other than peace in your heart - don't do it.

Because if you do, you're going to be disappointed. And may end up suing the temple. (I added the last part myself)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Oracle1o1 is on a distinguished road

Very good points.
Element #114 is THE ONE. Go LaoSpirit!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Leena is on a distinguished road

I believe in doing good deeds by:

-practice compassion, not doing harm to others, helping others who need help.
- give to the ones in need. I don't believe in giving for the sake of giving like give to those who don't need.
-wise spending/wise giving.
-avoid hate, envy and ill thoughts.
-live honestly, earn honestly.

All that is hed boon to me. Going to temple and listen to sermons is way of learning to live righteously. The sense of friendships, community and belonging.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Teh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle1o1 View Post

This is what it means to me

Het boun is like asking for forgiveness for your sins or the bad things you have done. After doing it, you want to feel at peace and good about yourself. You want to feel about forgetting your past and from this point on it's going to be better. You want to feel about enlightment.

Het boun is for yourself not for anyone else. By helping others you are helping yourself.

What do you do? you don't really have to be at the temple or any sacred place with buddha but it helps because you are closer to the people or things who possess more boun.
You can volunteer to do charity work, cleaning, be a novice monk or mae kow. Become a sungalee or be a panay jon. Tang pha kow for ajarn, tang pha kow for your deceased relatives. Pay almage, listen to chants.

This is what i believe

Last edited by Teh; 04-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.