Go Back   Lao Spirit > Health and Beauty
Register FAQ Members List Chat Room Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 AM

1kzlao is on a distinguished road
Default Shaving old school

I'm a member of this kitchen knife forum (my nerdyness is showing), one of the popular topics was about shaving. Sharp blades being the common theme naturally...

I was thinking back when I first started to shave. I remember using my dads double edge razor. He had one that opened up like a butterfly and you drop in one of those disposable razor blades. And boy did that thing shave well...

Move forward 15 years, I have been shaving with everything under the sun. Frustrated with my expensive electric shavers that require me to do pass after pass, more and more as the blade gets older. I switched to wet shaving with disposable razors. I found a good friend in the Gillette Fusion. But after years of buying new cartridges for like $3 each refill, I recently took a step back. Thats freak'in expensive! And though it shaves with 5 blades, I found that doesn't mean much. It gets dull, after a while you're pulling 2 dull blades and 3 sharp ones across your face. Dull blades = shaving harder = cutting yourself. No fun.

On my trip to Cleveland I stopped in at this store called The Art of Shaving. Apparently shaving old school is the new trend. They sell straight razors as well as those safety razors I borrowed from my dad years ago.

I picked up one of these http://www.theartofshaving.com/Heavy...s&navid=razors and a brush. Wow what a difference!!! I got a pack of higher quality blades (from Germany) 5 for $10!

Lesson learned... Sometimes the old school way is actually better. Granted the initial cost was kind of a lot. But if I would have stuck old school for all these years I would have saved money on electric razors and those five blade ripoffs.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Leena is on a distinguished road

Interesting thought, since I am the shopper for the family and have bought many of those disposable razors (like you said, none really do the job right). This could be a good discussion with facial hairy men in my family.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM

1kzlao is on a distinguished road

Yeah I stopped by the store on a frustrated impulse and ended up paying full retail. But if you shop amazon, you get these things much cheaper and you can read reviews too.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Teh is on a distinguished road

I hear you.. shaving products are expensive, especially the blades.
I shave twice a week because i don't have a lot of facial hair. It does grow fast if I don't have enough to sleep so what I do is trim it with my electric trimmer that same one hairstylist use for trimming the edges.

We can't afford to shave everyday. And if you shave your head, for get it.

I remember this old style shaver, If run across one at the store, I might pick one up only because you recommended it, KZ.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 AM

Joe Fukawe is on a distinguished road

Use disposable razor...as for shaving cream, I put used and remaining bath soap in a coffee cup and use shaving brush; you can save some money instead of buying those shaving cream and it's a good way to get 100% used on a bar of soap...